TO FIND YOUR QUESTION USE CTRL F
– Check In –
Where do I check in?
- Check in is at Mala Ramp just north of Lahaina off of Front Street. Your email confirmation included a map and directions.
What time does the boat actually leave?
- Check in is at 6:30 am and we leave as soon as everyone is checked in.
What time do I need to be at the boat?
- Please arrive by 6:30 am.
What time are we back?
- Around noon.
I’m on the afternoon trip, what time do I need to check in?
- Check in is at 12:30 pm and we leave as soon as everyone is checked in.
What time are we back from the afternoon charter?
- Around 4:45 pm.
Do I need my certification card?
- Yes, you need to show your certification card at check in. Proof of certification is accepted, for example, if the office has verified you or you have a Dive Chek through PADI.
– Boat –
I just got my certification can I go on the boat dive?
- Yes, you absolutely can.
Can I bring my own mask and fins?
- Yes, you can.
What type of wetsuits do you use?
- 5mm long sleeve step-in shorties.
Will food be served?
- Yes, we serve continental breakfast of bagels and spreads, fresh fruit, juice and cookies. The afternoon charter has chips, fresh fruit, cookies and juice.
It’s been four years since my last dive, do I need a refresher before I go on the boat?
- We highly recommend a shore dive with us before your boat trip so that you feel confident and comfortable on the boat. A shore dive is a great chance to re-familiarize yourself with dive gear and an awesome opportunity to see more marine life.
Do you do intros off the boat?
- All intros are done from the shore often at a dive site that the boat goes to also.
I have my own regulator can I just rent the BCD?
- Yes, a BCD costs 12.50 plus tax.
What about other items I might need to rent?
- Regulator – 12.50 plus tax
- Computer (clip on) – 10.00 plus tax.
- Steel 100s (two tanks) – 10.00 plus tax.
- Wetsuit – 10.00 plus tax.
- Nitrox (one) – 12.50 plus tax.
How many people are on the boat?
- We take up to 12 passengers (11 divers, 1 snorkeler)
What’s the cost for a private charter?
- $450 per hour with a 3.5 hour minimum.
How long does it take to get to the dive site?
- 30 – 45 minutes.
Is the boat ride to the dive very rough?
- Depending on conditions, the boat ride is usually smooth enough but can be bouncy crossing the channel, the captain has many dive sites to choose from and will pick the best conditions that day.
How big is the boat?
- The boat is 36 feet long, aluminum hull custom dive boat.
How long are the dives?
- Depends on air consumption and depth, generally 40 minutes to an hour.
How long is the surface interval?
- 45 – 55 minutes.
What happens if I get sick on the boat and can’t dive?
- Most people feel better underwater and our crew will go out of their way to accommodate you. You will however be responsible for the cost of the trip if you choose not to dive.
Can I use all of my own equipment?
- Yes, and you do need a computer on for boat dives.
Can I bring my own tanks? Is there a discount if I do?
- Yes, you can bring your own tanks. There is no discount as tanks do not cost extra, they are included.
Can I use a camera on the dive? Is there a place to store my camera?
- Yes you can and we have a large fresh water cooler for rinsing.
Can my 6 year old come for the ride?
- Our minimum age for the boat is 12, even if your 10 year old is certified there are depth restrictions.
Is there a bathroom on the boat?
Yes, We have a marine head.
– Dive Sites –
What are the Cathedrals?
- Large lava tubes classified as cavern dives. Unlike cave dives no special certification is needed.
How deep is the dive?
- Cathedrals is 60 – 80 feet.
What is the Carthaginian? What is the shipwreck?
- A 97 foot, steel-hulled replica of a whaling ship that used to sit in Lahaina Harbor and serve as a musuem. Atlantis Submarine bought it and scuttled (sank) it for use as an artificial reef.
How deep is the wreck dive?
- It is about 95 feet.
Can I request a certain dive site?
- You can ask your guide, it all depends upon conditions. The guides like to know what kinds of marine life you want to see and can select a site based on that information.
Do you have DIN tanks?
- Yes, we need 2 days advance notice.
Can I get nitrox? What blend Nitrox do you have? What percentage is the Nitrox?
- Yes, we need 1 day advance notice. Nitrox blend is 32%
Would you recommend steel tanks (“100’s”) since I tend to go through my air fast?
- It depends on your dimensions (height and weight) if it will be beneficial for you. If you are over 210 lbs we recommend steel tanks. Also known as “100’s”
– Shore Diving –
Where do I check in?
- Check in is at Extended Horizons dive shop at 94 Kupuohi Street, Unit A-1, Lahaina. Your email confirmation included a map and directions.
What time do I check-in?
- Please arrive at the time you booked your dive.
Do I need to arrive early?
- No, you can arrive at the time you booked.
Are the shore dives 1 or 2 tanks?
- You can book one or two tanks.
How deep are the shore dives?
- Between 25 – 45 feet.
After my intro dive can I do a second dive?
- Yes, it is $50 for a second dive on the same day.
How much walking is there for the shore dives?
- You’ll need to be able to carry your gear about 30 yards depending on the site. The instructor is there to assist you. Some sites do require a bit more.
Is there an age requirement for the intro class?
- Participants need to be 12 years old for the intro.
If I have done an intro dive can I do a night dive?
- No, you must be open water certified to do a night dive.
Are the night dives 1 or 2 tanks?
- They are 1 tank but you can book a two tank twilight/night dive.
Where do you go for night dives and are they on the boat?
- The best spots for night dives are Black Rock or Mala Ramp. All our night dives are done in groups of four or less and are shore dives. We do not cancel if you are the only person booked that night. We love night diving.
Why are Black Rock and Mala the best spots for a night dive?
- There is no boat traffic at those spots and the marine life is abundant and diverse. You can expect to see squid, octopus, lobsters, and more.
Where do I meet for the night dive?
- For all shore dives we meet at Extended Horizons dive shop, 94 Kupuohi Street, Unit A-1, Lahaina.
– Certification/Classes –
How many days does it take to complete the open water course?
- It takes 3 days to finish the whole course at about 5 – 6 hours a day. Or two half days for a referral when you have completed academics and pool work at home.
Can I use the intro dive towards my certification?
- Yes, as long as you begin your class within 90 days from the date of your DSD. If you return to your original DSD instructor you may have longer at the discretion of the dive store/instructor.It take 3 days to finish the whole course at about 5 – 6 hours a day. Or two half days for a referral when you have completed academics and pool work at home.
How many people are in the classes?
- We specialize in small groups and prefer to cap our classes at 4 divers.
My son is doing an intro class, I’m already certified, can I go too?
- Yes, and we love family members to dive together.
– General –
Can I go to Hana the day after I dive?
Yes, there is no elevation gain to worry about.
Can I drive up to Haleakala (volcano)?
- No, wait 18 – 24 hours before ascending to altitude.
How long do I have to wait before flying?
- 18 – 24 hours is recommended before ascending to altitude.
How long must I wait AFTER flying (arriving) before I can dive?
You can dive right away after flying. You must wait 18 hours before flying after a dive.
I’m just getting over a cold, am I ok to dive?
- The biggest concern is equalizing/congestion. Can you equalize now?
Do I really need a wetsuit?
- You don’t have to wear one but you might be more comfortable in one, the water temp ranges between 75 to 82 degrees.
Can we expect to see turtles on our dive?
- We can not guarantee that you will see them, but the dive sites along Maui’s coast are perfect for finding them!
– Distances –
How far away are you? How long will it take me to get there?
Wailea to Extended Horizons.
- Wailea is 28 miles, it will take 45 – 50 minutes.
Kihei to Extended Horizons.
- Kihei is 22 miles, it will take 40 – 45 minutes.
Kahului to Extended Horizons.
- Kahului is 23 miles, it will take 45 – 50 minutes.
Paia to Extended Horizons.
- Paia is 30 miles, it will take 55 – 65 minutes.
Haiku to Extended Horizons.
- Haiku is 42 miles, it will take 90 minutes.
Hana to Extended Horizons.
- Hana is 72 miles, it will take 3 hours.
Ka’anapali to Extended Horizons. (Resort area includes Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin,Marriott Ocean Club, Kaanapali Beach Club, Honua Kai and more)
- Ka’anapali is 5 miles, it will take 7 – 10 minutes.
Kahana to Extended Horizons.
- Kahana is 7 miles, it will take 15 minutes.
Napili (also Honokowai) to Extended Horizons.
- Napili is 7 miles, it will take 15 minutes.
Kapalua to Extended Horizons.
- Kapalua is 10 miles, it will take 20 minutes.
Ritz-Carlton to Extended Horizons.
- Ritz-Carlton is 10 miles, it will take 20 minutes.
Makawao to Extended Horizons.
- Makawao is 35 miles, it will take 60 – 65 minutes.
Pukalani to Extended Horizons.
- Pukalani is 32 miles, it will take 60 – 65 minutes.
Kula to Extended Horizons.
- Kula is 43 miles, it will take 80 – 90 minutes.